HIPAA/HITECH Basics for the Business Lawyer
Register By: 6/6/2012
Registration must be received by the MBA office by 5 p.m on this date, or 'at the door' registration fee will apply.
Date: Thursday, June 7th 2012
Time: 3 - 5pm
Location: World Trade Center Mezzanine Room, Building 2 26 SW Salmon, Portland
Credit Type(s): General Credit
This CLE will address (non-litigation) aspects of HIPAA/HITECH that affect "Covered Entities" (such as doctors, hospitals and health plans), and the service providers (accountants, lawyers, billing companies) that handle health information in the course of providing services to the Covered Entities. Blerina Kotori of Tonkon Torp and Leslie Bottomly of Ater Wynne will cover:
- What do HIPAA's privacy and security rulesrequire of Covered Entities?
- How do you determine if you are a Covered Entity?
- What does HIPAA require a Covered Entity to do if private health information is accidentally disclosed?
- What is a "Business Associate Agreement" between a Covered Entity and a service provider (accountants, lawyers, billing companies) and which provisions may be negotiated?
- What does HIPAA require of Business Associates?
- Indemnification and insurance issues involving the costs associated with HIPAA violations.
For more information: Call Heidee Stoller of Ater Wynne at 503.226.8616. For registration questions, please call the MBA at 503.222.3275.